What is a GFCI ?

GFCI stands for Ground-fault circuit interrupter.

They are an essential element for every home as they help to prevent electrical shock and other electrical hazards.

Since the 1970s, ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) have saved the lives of thousands and have brought down the number of home electrocutions by half.

These units can be identified by the presence of a test and reset button between the two outlets.

GFCIs are safety devices that trip electrical circuits the moment they detect ground faults or leakage currents. A person who becomes part of a path for leakage current will be severely shocked or electrocuted.

GFCIs prevent shock or electrocution by quickly shutting off power to the circuit if the electricity flowing into the circuit varies by even a slight amount from that returning.

For instance-When you plug a hair dryer, the GFCI outlet will monitor the amount of power going to the appliance. If you accidentally drop the hair dryer into a sink full of water, the GFCI detects the interruption in current and cuts the power ... and possibly saves your life.

GFCI outlets also prevent damage to devices plugged into the outlet and also keep the entire circuit from tripping.

These outlets are required in areas of your home where there is use of water or high moisture in the environment like bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, basements, garages, outdoors like pool and hot tub areas.

To know more about GFCI outlets, or to inquire about our electrical installation, repair or upgrade services, get in touch with us at My Electric Medic.

We can be reached through our phone line or online contact form and will be happy to answer.

Related Posts
  • Differences between GFCI and AFCI